Keeping track of your dental benefits might be the last thing you want to do during the holidays, but if you don’t want potentially hundreds of insurance dollars to go to waste, it’s a good idea to visit the dentist in Pearland so that you can utilize your benefits before they reset at the end of the year. What can your insurance help you with, and how can it save you money? Read on to learn how to make a decision that will keep your finances healthy and your smile intact.
What Does Dental Insurance Cover?
In many cases, you can expect your dental plan to provide the following coverage:
- Paying 100% for preventive care such as cleanings, checkups and X-rays.
- Paying 80% for basic procedures to restore the tooth’s health, such as a filling.
- Paying 50% for major treatments, such as crowns to repair extensive dental damage.
Of course, each plan is different; for example, some insurance companies might classify root canal therapy as a basic procedure while others consider it a major treatment. It’s a good idea to double check with your carrier to confirm the benefits you have and how they can be used.
Why is Using Dental Insurance Important?
If your plan runs on the calendar year, your current benefits are set to expire in January; anything that’s left won’t carry over. There are several reasons why you would want to utilize your benefits instead of using them:
- Your plan has a yearly maximum, which is essentially money set aside for dental appointments and procedures. Meeting or exceeding the maximum is the best way to take advantage of this money while you still have it.
- If you’ve met your deductible, you won’t have to pay it again until next year. That means you’ll cut down on out-of-pocket costs if you see the dentist now instead of later.
- Anyone who keeps up with their premiums should be using their benefits in order to get their money’s worth.
- Using your insurance means seeing the dentist to have oral health issues treated or addressed; delaying such care could potentially lead to more extensive and expensive treatments.
What’s the Best Strategy for Using Dental Insurance Before the End of the Year?
First of all, you should schedule a checkup if you haven’t already had at least two this year. Since these visits are often fully covered, they’re a great way to use benefits while keeping your pearly whites healthy and bright. If you end up needing additional procedures to maintain your oral health, try to have them done before January; if the treatment will take multiple visits, at least try to start it before the end of the year so that you can use this year’s benefits and can then use next year’s plan to help pay for the second part.
Call your dentist today to ask about treatments you might need and ways you can utilize your insurance. Maximize your dental savings while getting the care you deserve, and you can greet the new year with a dazzling grin!
About the Practice
At Maxwello Dental & Orthodontics in Pearland, you can enjoy quality care in-house from two highly skilled general dentists as well as a certified orthodontist and endodontist. We are in-network with a majority of major plans, including Humana and Cigna. To schedule an appointment, visit our website or call (713) 436-2522.